List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kdesktop wait cursor
From:       Sean Pecor <sean () digitalspinner ! com>
Date:       2001-05-09 12:40:04

On Wednesday 09 May 2001 04:41, Hylton Clarke wrote:
> Again, you are catering for the beginner. That would piss me off no end, if
> I had no access to my screen while waiting for something to load. The idea
> of having an hour glass linked to the mouse pointer works fine for me.

It works fine for me too. But since I've got an Alienware Area 51 PC I never
see the hourglass anyway ;). I'm suggesting a setting that when enabled would
enable a "Please Wait" screen-saver while the application is loading, and
disappear when the application is loaded. It's not something I'd ever use,
but it would be a solution for many administrators out there with a computer
illiterate user base.

I think one of the key hurdles for GUI development is the notion that
whatever is built has to work for everyone. This is a problem. In my opinion,
a GUI should be completed themed, and a given theme could change virtually
everything about the user interface along with certain system preferences. In
this manner you could offer a Novice theme, a Professional theme, a Carpenter
theme, a Doctor theme, etc. Simply changing the color of the button is a
great start, but more needs to be done.

Sean.

--
Digital Spinner, Inc.
Cutting edge web design and applications development.