List:       kde-look
Subject:    RE: kdesktop wait cursor
From:       Stephen Yates <sjy999 () totalise ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-05-08 15:33:23

>===== Original Message From kde-look@kde.org =====
>On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 01:31:21PM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> out of experience (from this internet cafe here running with KDE 2.1.1)
>> the users are *not* capable of understanding that starting applications
>> may take some time. The result is that they click on the konqueror or
>> netscape icon 5 or more times which slows down the machines (diskless
>> clients) even more. So what is needed besides the taskbar start
>> notification is to also set the cursor to wait cursor. A new hourglass
>> cursor with a pointer a la windoze would be the best option, this one
>> can be black and white so this shouldn't be a problem to do actually.
>> But changing the cursor is *very* crucial.
>
>I don't like this at all. There must be a better way to make it clear to the
>user that the application is starting up. How about a kind of titlebar with
>the name of the started application which will appear when you clicked the
>button. After a short period this titlebar then 'docks' into the taskbar
(like
>the animation when you minimize a window). This will attract the users
>attention.

Mac OS X indicates that an app is loading by making it's icon in the Dock
bounce up and down.  How about changing/animating the icon that has been
clicked on to launch the app?  That way no screen space would be needed to
show that the app is loading (personally I find splash screens very annoying),
and the taskbar wouldn't have to be visible on screen.  How hard would it by
to have the app icon spin or bounce while the app is loading?  Or if that is
too flashy and distracting how about having a small icon such as an hourglass
appear on the app icon to indicate that it's doing something?

Steve

Totalise - the Users ISP
To become a member and a shareholder
visit http://www.totalise.net