List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KWin configurability, and more kwin styles...
From:       Hans Meine <hans_meine () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-03-26 16:57:31

Karol Szwed <kszwed@linux4.cs.latrobe.EDU.AU> writes:
> All available window settings will possibly be configurable via a
> kcontrol module, which dynamically updates itself, depending on which kwin
> client you are using (thanks dcop signals!). In future, it would be nice to
> amalgamate the look'n'feel->style, look'n'feel->colour, look-n-feel->themes and
> look'n'feel->window-borders control centre modules into something much
> more integrated and user friendly. We need some ideas and some ui design
> from willing people! This could wrap into a theme-ball or something of that
> sort, to customise all settings into one, a bit like the current theme stuff,
> but more powerful. :)

Yes! This is the way to go and has been discussed just too-often. It would
be great if you finally started and came up with something; I believe there
are quite a few people who intended to do that for a long time and will
try to help / flame you. ;-)

IMO, a friend of mine had a great idea: You (and me) might be thinking
configurability is fine, but many (office) users will not care about selecting
different options and try everything out until it fits fine - for them some
kind of "one-click-theme-preview-and-selection" will be best. Give them
between five and ten templates for their desktop and they will be content.

(As it is now, they might try different kwin clients, find e.g. "System++"
 is ugly with blue stripes in the title - not realizing they should try a
 mac-ish color scheme - and dump it too fast. And this is only one example,
 every kwin client has some colors / widget styles which make them look
 great together.)

--
Ciao,  /  /
      /--/