List:       kde-look
Subject:    Icon Usability
From:       Jono Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-22 16:35:31

Hello all,

Today while in a usability lecture at Uni, Lee and myself had an idea
of building into the study some icon researach and how well icons are
percieved by users. It seems we can learn much from Jakob Nielson in
terms of iconic research.

The idea is this: we will provide a form on the site displaying all of
the icons that are included with KDE, and next to each icon will be a
text box. The user will simply enter words that they associate with the
icon. This research will give us clues on how the user percieves the
image, and how cultural differences may be taken into account. At the
top of the page the user can enter which country they are from.

As far as I am personally thinking, I feel the icons in KDE are
fantastic, but any extra information on user reaction and input will be
useful.

Unfortunatly we cant hack at this until I recieve confirmation of the
kde.org webspace for the study. When we recieve confirmation we can
build the database to house this research.

I have CC'ed this message to kde-look and kde-artist as people on these
lists may be interested.

Comments?

	Jono

Jono Bacon - [vmlinuz] -- jono@kde.org