List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Duplicated efforts and consistency (SDI/MDI in konq, konsole etc.
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-03-16 15:34:22

Dave Leigh wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 March 2001 09:40, Sean Pecor wrote:
> > Another issue for me personally is that MDI is a pain in the arse, because
> > when (not if) an application crashes it takes all open documents with it. I
> > truly hate that. Granted, it doesn't happen often, but when it does I want
> > the damage to be localized not broad. Konqueror suffers from this sort of
> > behavior, in that when it crashes it takes down many other Konq windows
> > which is a real blow to my productivity.
>
> This, of course, is the single best argument against MDI.

I'm not really ofay with the internal workings of X applications, but
surely this is nothing to do with MDI/SDI per se? This is more to do
with single instance versus multiple instance -- if you have an
application than runs as a single instance, and it puts up twenty
windows, all twenty will die if the application process dies too.

--
Steven D'Aprano