List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Duplicated efforts and consistency (SDI/MDI in konq, konsole etc. ...)
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-03-13 1:09:45

On Monday 12 March 2001 17:43, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> On Monday 12 March 2001 22:29, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:

> -Tabbed MDI (like in ksirc) has the advantage to stack documents and switch
> them fast in a very transparent way.
> -Emac-Style MDI has the advantage that one can easily compare things and do
> drag and drop.

FWIW, I happen to LIKE tabbed MDI. It and the little "word wrap indicator" at
the end of a line (that is, the ability to display a file as wrapped without
actually inserting linefeeds) are the two things about gedit that I prefer
over kwrite.

I see the tabbed MDI as a very good compromise.  I see no reason to have
multiple apps, complete with superfluous toolbars and menus scattered around
my screen.  On the other hand, the logical place to put controls affecting a
document is WITH the document, not detached with no logical or visual
connection.

Some projects, like the GIMP or WordPerfect attempt to use a master window.
One only has to look at the GIMP to see what kind of UI Hell this can
produce... throwing all kinds of shit all over the screen, allowing the user
to obscure menus and dialogs, splitting functionality between invisible menus
only accessible by right-clicking the document and a tantalizing central menu
that the user EXPECTS to use to access this functionality, but which is
actually useful for next to nada.

I also see no need to have some mini-window manager setup such as StarOffice
or MS-take-your-pick.  The user deals with one document at a time, so all of
the extra overhead is just nonsense. (Besides, they never got the position of
the child window widgets right anyway).

Yep, as far as I'm concerned, tabbed MDI is the Goldilocks interface (just
right).  This probably has something to do with the fact that my workflow is
task-based, not document-based.

--
We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld