List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Duplicated efforts and consistency (SDI/MDI in konq, konsole etc. ...)
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-12 21:42:06

On Monday 12 March 2001 22:29, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:

> Only exceptionally should you introduce another way to adress several
> instances of a program. A good example: konsole.

The problem is that the "exception" has de facto become the rule.
Obviously this happened because there was a need by the
advanced users to have MDI.
Therefore we got from a situation where we wanted all apps to
behave the best way (SDI) to the situation where all apps have different
ways of offering MDI (konsole vs. ksirc/kspread vs. konqueror), which is
worse than anything else.

The obvious solution would be to offer a common way for the user
from SDI to tabbed MDI or Emacs-Style-MDI once he feels it becomes
necessary (or even globally for all  apps at once).
MDI itself has the advantage of offering a container for documents and hold
them together in a kind of "project".

There are two solutions which turned out in the KDE-project to be quite
nice (the windows-like-MDI probably wasn't implemented in any KDE-application
because it clutters windows in an awful way):

-Tabbed MDI (like in ksirc) has the advantage to stack documents and switch
them fast in a very transparent way.
-Emac-Style MDI has the advantage that one can easily compare things and do
drag and drop.

> Yes, right and fuck stability of KDE as well, they are not used to anything
> better.

;)

Greetings,
Tackat