List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Who needs this? draggable K-Menue
From:       Henry Stanaland <henryst () MIT ! EDU>
Date:       2001-03-11 19:53:33

Sergej Malinovski wrote:

> Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 06:25:11PM +0100, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
>>
>>> * the K-Menu opens in a separate window which I can drag around - I can
>>> not reproduce this :-( ,  lets make it a reproducable feature :-)  so one
>>> can pin it somwhere...
>>
>> Could anyone point out where this feature may be useful? I think nobody
>> wants their K-Menue in a window, does anyone?
>

> Something like the Gtk+ (and WindowMaker) menu functionality, eh? I don't
> know, perhaps to alway be able to see what's in it... faster access if not
> overlaped by other windows... could be made "always on top"... Suma sumarum,
> one hell of a crazy idea :)

Actually, Macintosh (accidentall) has this too.  Since their menu
displays REAL
folders and applications(not special icon files), you can click on a
"folder" in the
menu and it becomes a "quick access" menu.  I've actually seen a few
secretary-type
people using this.  This menu would be like their "favorites."

It's also helpful in the GIMP because there is no toolbar, it is easier
to have the submenus
easily accessible.

>> Please enlighten me, I think ATM it should not be introduced.
>

> I think it shouldn't at *any* point.
>
> On the other hand... what the guy wants is a faster access, I pressume. He
> wants to save just one click. Well, how about automatic popup if you shoot
> your mouse in the corner (just the one corner pixel) where K-Menu resides?
> Make it optional of course...

Considering all KDE apps have toolbars, and Kicker allows you to place
applications
there, I don't think it is necessary either.  Furthermore, with KDE
2.1's "most recent
applications and/or "most frequently used applications" menu thing, it
makes this
even more redundant.  That's my opinion, and I actually do use the
feature with
the GIMP.

-Henry