List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: kde-look@kde.orgRe: Icon improvements.
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-03-11 15:05:17

On Sunday 11 March 2001 09:38, Sergej Malinovski wrote:
> Dave Leigh wrote:
> > To be precise, it's not the solution *you* *want*.
>
> Allright, maybe be, maybe not... I am not against the Ctrl+K function
> itself, it is useful, but it's *use with all the other things you have to
> do to accomplish the simple task* is inappropriate in the situation we are
> talking about.
>
> Come on, do *you* want this solution? Or to be precise, do you want it to
> be *the* solution? Who wants this to be a solution, and why?

Oh, I was simply clarifying your meaning.  There are always people who prefer
the status quo, no matter how inconvenient and illogical the status quo is.
This is the reason that English spelling is in the state it's in. ;)

The biggest reason for "copy on select" is that it gives you interoperability
with non-KDE (and even non-X, running in an X-term) applications.  Even if an
application doesn't support Ctrl-C, I can generally count on selection to
work.  To me, this valuable functionality more than makes up for
inconsistencies.  Now, ignoring whatever's been said before, here's how I
would personally like to see it work, to retain both this interoperability
and some measure of control:

1. The result of the actions "select", then "point", then "press center
button" should remain unchanged.
2. Ctrl-C should copy the "selection buffer" to a "copy buffer".  Ctrl-X
additionally removes the selection.
3. Ctrl-V pastes from the copy buffer.

This way, I select some text ("A") and press Ctrl-C, then select some
different text ("B").  Moving to my word processor, pressing Ctrl-V pastes
text A; pressing the middle mouse button pastes text B.

> Anyway, why discuss this when the current behaviour isn't what it is
> supposed to be, as Henry pointed out?

All progress is fueled by dissatisfaction.  Viva la penguinistas!

--
We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld