List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Drag and drop indicator
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-03-10 8:19:29

Wilco Greven wrote:

> Hello,
>
> While reading about the XDND protocol I came across the following
> comment from John Lindal:
>
>     "In my opinion, programs should not change the cursor during the drag
>     because this provides the user with the most consistent picture. The
>     user is always dragging the same data, regardless of whether or not
>     the current target will accept it. It is the target that should
>     change to show whether or not it will accept the drop.

That's correct. On the Mac, it is the target that highlights to show
that it will accept the drag.

[snip MS bashing]
>     The single exception that I endorse is adding a small symbol to the
>     cursor to show that the requested action will be performed, instead of
>     XdndActionPrivate. For an example, refer to the page on dragging
>     files."
>
> I have always found that changing the mouse cursor was very distracting, so I
> wholeheartly agree with this comment. What do you guys think about this?

Couldn't agree more. It is nice to have a little tick appear on the
cursor when the drag can be accepted. I'm not so certain that a cross
showing that it won't be accepted is a good idea, but I'm open to
persuasion.

Of course, this depends on the application. For instance, dragging an
icon around the desktop shouldn't require feedback, since you can drop
an icon anywhere and have it sit there. But when you drag it over a
folder, the folder should highlight, to indicate that something is about
to happen. It would be nice if the icon would change to an open folder,
instead of just turn dark or something. Maybe in this case, it would be
useful to have a "not accepted" cursor (say if you drag a file icon onto
the menubar or something).

--
Steven D'Aprano