List:       kde-look
Subject:    Klipper [ was Re: Icon improvements. ]
From:       "Steven D'Aprano" <dippy () mikka ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-03-10 7:41:40

Sean Pecor wrote:

> The Klipper goes
> one step further and immediately copies your selection in the clipboard - a
> feature I love and use continually.

I *hate* this misfeature. Words have not been invented to explain how
much I despise it.

Try this: copy some text. Or worse: cut some text. Now select some more
text you want to replace. Hit paste. Look how Klipper
[sarcasm]cleverly[/sarcasm] pastes the text that you were trying to
replace instead of the text that you actively pasted.

The work around is a major pain in the rear end. You have to paste the
replacement text FIRST, then carefully delete ONE CHARACTER AT A TIME
the text you wanted to remove, and bad luck if that happens to be twenty
pages of text. If you select the text and delete it, Klipper
[sarcasm]cleverly[/sarcasm] places it in the clipboard, getting rid of
the text you actually wanted in there. Too bad if you actually wanted to
paste the text again.

As misfeatures go, this one is a doozy.

> Does anyone on this list use the cut, copy and paste icons regularly? If not,
> is it because there are better ways or is it because the icons were never
> very clear for you? I think there is room for improvement.

I've gotten into the habit of clicking the icons, because I believe the
Ctrl key is misplaced. It is easier for me to use the mouse than it is
to type Ctrl-[key]. The Alt key (as used by Netscape) is in a much
better position, ergonomically, since you can hold it down with your
thumb instead of the weakest finger on your hand, the little finger.
Apple had the right idea: they put the Command key (equivalent to the
Ctrl) next to the space bar, and the rarely-used Option key (equivalent
to Alt) on outside.

--
Steven D'Aprano