List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Resizeable Dialogs, Layout & Co.
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       2001-01-03 19:37:51

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 05:48:24PM +0100, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

Hiya,

> 1a)
> All dialogs that have elements which could be expanded to show more
> should be resizeable. Think of a file dialog or any simple name giving
> dialog. By now most of them are but I think this is mostly because the
> standard programmed setting of dialogs is this way not because the
> programmer thought of this feature. So this should be advised
> explicitly.

right, most programs in KDE make use of Qt's layout management to have
resizable windows, but a lot of third-party applications don't (probably
due to kdevelop's widget-builder, which didn't support that). This will
hopefully change when the Qt Designer gets used more widely.

> 1b)
> The last used size should be remembered next time, maybe optionally.

Yes, I would like to have that, too. Support for that in KDialogBase might
help.

> Don't know if this is useful but there could also be a way to let the
> user configure the place of the dialog.
> Up/Down/Left/Right/Center of App/Screen or in coordinates...
>
> Jumped into my mind right now... but still don't see benefits.

Hmm, we have Smart Placement in kwin, this should optimally place new
windows, most of the time.

> What about a setting for the distance between the elements in dialogs?
> This would a) make all dialogs look even more simililarly, b) allow to
> fit the look to the size of the screen (small distance with big fonts
> looks as ugly as small fonts with big distance in the extreme).
>
> If we think of embedded devices where we would like to use KDE too there
> is the need to adjust to their small display. This is done by choosing
> the smallest font size by now. But if we could also set the distance
> between the elements to e.g. "3" instead of fixed "10" what is mostly
> used actually we might be able to get even the bigger dialogs of now on
> a small screen by especially gaining in the vertical.

There is already such a setting, but I guess it is hardcoded
(KDialog::spacingHint() and KDialog::marginHint()).

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer