List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: MMB paste location
From:       John Summerfield <summer () OS2 ! ami ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-09-26 11:54:03

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Note that xterm's also paste at the cursor location. (Not that they have a
> > choice)
>
> But Emacs pastes at mouse click (unless you change default configuration). :)
>
> The problem with inserting at cursor position is imho that it would make MMB
> the only mouse action that doesn't use mouse position, which seems strange.
> The question is: how could we improve user's awareness of the paste location?

You're wrong that it would make the MMB not use the mouse position; the mouse
position chooses the target window.

I HATE the way emacs does this, and I hate the way sedit does this.

Use mouse+MB1 to position the text cursor. Use MMB to paste text at the text
cursor for the target window.

The reason I hate the way emacs and sedit do it is this: I run my screen at
1280x1024, and use small type. The size of the characters in the target field
is, in some circumstances, dwarfed by the size of the mouse cursor. Even when
not, positioning the cursor sufficiently accurately is difficult.

If I adjust mouse parameters to make that easy, then other mouse actions
become difficult.

If I don't mnage to get the mouse cursor the right place, I can (and do)
correct the text cursor's location with the keyboard.