List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: RFC: StyleGuide for Labels? (fwd)
From:       Arcana <irwin () corel ! com>
Date:       2000-07-04 11:49:13

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> It May be Relevent, or Perhaps Not, That Following Style A Will be
> Grammatically Incorrect in German, Where All Nouns are Capitalised and
> Verbs Are Not Unless They are the First Word in the Sentence.
> Actually, Style A Breaks Even the Grammatical Rules of English.

English has grammatical rules for SENTENCES.  It also has different
conventions for HEADINGS.

This isn't a debate on whether a label should be done in "Style A" or
"Style B".  I think it is a debate on whether labels should be
treated as conversational sentences, or as headings.

I personally feel that most labels are NOT headings.  However, some
labels are placed at the top of a panel, and essentially serve as the
Heading, and should therefore be capitalized in Style A.

For example, you may have a program.  The title, obviously, is in
Style A.

Title-- The File Manager

Perhaps we access a configuration dialog box.  The dialog title would
be something like:

Configuration

Underneath the configuration Dialog box, we may have various things
we can work with... like file associations, file permissions, and
toolbars.

So, in the titled borders, you'd have:

File Associations
File Permissions
Toolbars

But when we reach the individual labels for the textboxes, I believe
that they are best treated as sentences.

File Associations

	-- Add file type             _____________
	-- Change program order list _____________

etc.

That's just MY OPINION... what *I* think... and I have no literary
sources to back me up.  :)