List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Improvements to menubar
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-30 1:06:18

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> OK, I'll explain.
>
> Set the menubar to top of the screen style. Its not relevant if you
> have the menubar at the top of the windows.

Hmm.. well, as I am the one that suggested we use the mac-style as the
*default* in KDE and implemented it for KDE2, it would be safe to
guess that I *have* used the mac-style menus ;-)

> [Aside: Hey! I just discovered that window-based KDE menus are
> draggable like Gnome menus. You live and learn.]

Not anymore.  The draggable property was removed a few months ago as
implementing it was a major hack and there was no evidence that
anybody ever used it.

> The menubar is placed at the top of the screen. At the extreme left
> corner is an icon. For non-KDE apps, this icon is a K. KDE apps use
> their own icon. Clicking on this icon drops down a menu which
> duplicates the K icon on the panel. I suppose the idea was to match
> the Apple or Start menus under Mac/Win OSes.
>
> > Are you using KDE2?  There is a 'Menu font' setting already there.
>
> No. I'm glad to hear this has been added.

This actually explains everything for me.  KDE 1.x is dead as far as
I'm concerned.  I haven't used it in months and I assume that ALL
discussion here concerns KDE2 (or KDE3 if you want to be radical).
Talking about KDE 1.x is a waste of time as darn near everything has
changed.

SO, in KDE2, the system menu is no longer in the menubar.  In fact,
the only thing in the menubar is the menu items themselves.  That's
it.

> > The K icon is on the panel not on the menubar...
>
> I take it then you don't commonly use the menubar in top of screen
> mode? :-)
>
> Nice to see even somebody of the calibre of Kurt can miss a feature in
> KDE. I don't feel so silly for having missed the draggable menus now.

I would *strongly* suggest that you start using KDE2!  You've had a
lot of nice ideas UI wise but they really are wasted if you are using
KDE 1.x.  KDE2 is what we are talking about here.
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix