List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       2000-04-26 23:51:32

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 12:08:36PM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:

Hi,

> First, the Mac menubar is proven to be up to FIVE times faster for
> searching and selecting a menu item.  This is as opposed to the

this is a point.

> Second, it gives us yet one way to differentiate us from being a
> "windows-clone".  I'll admit that this is a very minor point... but
> since we're already going with a different widget set and panel and
> such, it couldn't hurt here either.

But this isn't IMHO. I attended the "Berlin Linux Infodays" a few weeks
ago and talked to a lot of people (many Windows converts), and they told
me "hey, this looks like Windows". But they realized a lot of places,
where it was different (similar functionality, but slightly different
look/behavior) and they asked, "why do they make it extra hard for us,
just to be different?".
I know we can't please everyone everywhere, but doing something for the
sake of being different than Windows is wrong, IMHO.

> Thoughts?

We had this handle in KMenuBar a while ago, but it was dropped because
dragging the menubar doesn't make much sense. But why not use the handle
to switch between Mac Menubar and normal menubar? I.e. drag a menubar to
the top -> Mac Mode. Drag it away -> Normal mode.

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer