List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-26 22:59:45

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> First, thanks for the thoughts...
>
> Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > - My personal experience is that it felt much slower to use the
> > mouse. Everytime I tried to move to the MacOS-menubar-look my right
> > arm began to hurt after a while and I really began to feel the long
> > distance that it took to reach for the menubar high at the top of
> > the screen.
>
> Have you actually had somebody *time* you doing this?  That's one of
> the things that piss off "real" UI folk... people often perceive speed
> much differently then is really the case.  The only thing that matters
> in the end is the stopwatch.

Is it? If someone is very happy with a solution he/she thinks works very
fast, who cares about what a stopwatch says. All reviews are written based on
"perception", not on actual measurements. If someone thinks something is
slow, he will not enjoy using it. No matter what the actual timings have to
say about it.

> We will have an upgrade or welcome wizard that can implement Lotzi's
> suggestion of having many major config items right up front.  The mac
> menubar can be one of those items... I just want it checked ON as the
> default.

Well, yes. But be aware that the mac-menubar has two major problems:
1) It does not work well with non-KDE applications.
2) It does not work well together with focus-follows mouse.

Note that the Mac itself does not have these problems.

Cheers,
Waldo