List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: ui contribution
From:       Alexander Di Nardo <eyyovsyr () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2000-04-25 18:47:12

>Therefore people will
> feel rather confused when they have two "Home"-items in the same look
> and feel on their monitor where one of them leads to the
> Home-site/directory of the user and the other to the Main-page of
> the current site being visited by the user.
> Same applies for the Search, Back and Forward-buttons ...

True - a perfect example of such confusion comes about when a search
engine or anonymous web mail service allows the user to browse to an
external site, but maintains a set of controls in a frame above the new
site. Hotmail.com and askjeeves.com are examples of two companies that
do this.  I understand what they were trying to accomplish - maintain
control and not let the user stray too far from the original site - but
it drives me crazy. I don't want another layer of global controls below
the browser interface and above the new web page contents (it also
steals valuable screen space).

> You don't design traffic signs in a way that makes them look
> nicely integrated into the neighbourhood either ...

sorry - can't beat Rik's story.
--
The address in the headers is not the poster's real email address.  Do not send
private mail to the poster using your mailer's "reply" feature.  CC's of mail