List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: UI feedback from a Linux newbie
From:       Alexander Di Nardo <eyyovsyr () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2000-04-24 18:12:01

Magnus Ihse wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Tom Hoferek wrote:

> Actually, this is culturally biased. Here in Sweden, ticks are
> unusual, and the cross is the normal way to mark a check box on a
> paper form. It was just recently that I learnt that this isn't so in
> the US.
>
> Clarification: ticks is just fine, they too are obvious to swedes
> (although they might feel a bit "foreign", just like your funny
> american mailboxes on the email programs ;-)), but the cross
> does definitely not have any negative connotations.

Interesting point on culture - It used to be that in Canada election
ballots were disqualified if not marked with a clear X ( apparently now
they accept any mark in a box - for those who can't spell X :-b ).
Using an X was always the accepted format for any type of form. This may
have changed in recent times, probably due to the new "feel good
self-esteem stroking" education system ... we can't have the letter X
with it's negative connotation traumatizing the kids ...

But seriously though, I think that any clear mark within an outline like
a square is a good indication that something has been enabled. What is
more important, however, is the clarity and consistency of the language
explaining what the user has just enabled. I always use a positive
imperative statement next to a check box. For example, I will write:
"Enable function abc", but never "Disable function abc". In doing so, I
never leave the user in a situation where he is confirming to not do
something. I hope that last sentence makes sense.

All in all, this is the kind of small but important detail that is
typically established in a common UI style sheet.

cheers,
Alex.
--
The address in the headers is not the poster's real email address.  Do not send
private mail to the poster using your mailer's "reply" feature.  CC's of mail