List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Again - UI
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-04-20 22:13:08

> > I would like to know of examples of this bad-behaviour you are referring to.
> >

> OK, here is a scenario. I downloaded the Netscape 6 preview release to my linux \
> box. I double clicked on the downloaded file,
[snip]

RPM's have a problem that generally the paths are set, so that is not really
an option here. (how does that option to relocate work??)

What about the following:

KDE provides an installation creation tool which:
 - packages files in groups (just as on windows) which make it possible to
   turn parts of the installation off.
 - Allows the user to select a personal or an system-wide install.
 - allows the user to select an install dir. If a priviliged dir is selected,
   or a system-wide installation is made the root-password is asked.

 - The installer should do what ./configure does now on a higher level because
   we are talking about binairy packages here. Think about things like:
   dependencies, clib version etc.
 - The installer should make an RPM entry which would make it possible to
   remove the product.

Now this installation creation software would be used by the packager
to compile his personal installer which provides the above functionality.
I.e. Netscape would use the installation creation tool to create a 'netscape
linux installer' application.

Aditionally an meta-installer could be created, made in sh to auto-select the
package which is needed by the current architecture. That meta-sw would then
download the real installer and give control to that.

ps. I am thinking packages like netscape or framemaker here, not a new X server.

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
History repeats itself, it has to, nobody ever listens      OpenPGP key: 0588D5