List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Again - UI
From:       zander () microweb ! nl
Date:       2000-04-19 18:15:48

> We have much bigger fish to fry. Whether or not our radio buttons look like 'the \
> other guys' radio buttons is not going to win or lose us users. We need to address \
> fundamental issues, like file management and insalling/removing/updating \
> applications for example.

The former answer you got is understandable since you are on a list that discusses
the face of KDE, not that of linux. I am glad that we did anyhow succeed in putting
a face on unix with KDE ;-)

Back to your problem. Here is what we have today:
- Unix and linux have a directory tree that is standard, which means that like
windows you will know which file resides where. This issue is addressed in the
Linux Standardisation project

- Most software is provided as source. Because most users don't want that firms
like corel/redhat/suse package the stuff. One thing that follows from these steps
is that most (big) software tools need a path compiled in them. Making it impossible
to move them.

- Many files depend on more files on unix, it is impossible to say that you will
remove all of a 'certain' package when you remove, say /usr/local/samba

- Package management RPM has been invented to address all of the above problems. One
problem still exists; when the partition/hard drive that is mounted where all
the software lives is full. No current software will allow you to fix that or allow
you to install somewhere else. THis has a history where experience and the \
modulairity of the filesystem allow maintainers of the systems to work around this \
problem.

The user can install packages in his/her home dir and packages that require you to
be root come with a manual (INSTALL file or README) except when the software are
little tools that are not really meant for the weak of heart anyway.

In short, the problem you have has been solved with RPM's. Full harddisk mean: remove
a package you don't need. And installing new software like an office package or
a game are at mercy of the installers provided.

I see no way that KDE (the front end of the OS) can deliver a solution. The problems
you see on windows just don't exist.

If installation of KDE was hard, the packager (Suse or Corel) didn't do a good job.
If the installation of a beta version of KDE (like kde2) was hard, well that's \
because it is not finished.

I would like to know of examples of this bad-behaviour you are referring to.

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
History repeats itself, it has to nobody ever listens.         gpg-key:  0588D5