List:       kde-look
Subject:    Double Click
From:       Randy Meyer <xyz1024 () crosswinds ! net>
Date:       2000-04-15 3:49:08

	I think I have a way to explain why the double click was used.  It was
used to be consistent with keyboard interaction where you have to move
the cursor to the whatever you want to act on (aka select it) before you
can act on it. By using double click you have the same select then act.
I have found that single click in kfm can has been annoying when I us
the mouse to scroll to an area and click on a file to open then try to
go to the next file using the key board and find out that there is a box
around the file that I clicked on with the mouse but the there is a
separated file (at the beginning of the list if I haven't used the
keyboard in that window yet) highlighted. This makes 2 files that are
selected one as residue from my mouse click and a second from pressing
an arrow key.  Not only that but I have been jumped to a different place
than where I was working unexpectedly and have to then use the keyboard
to scroll back down to where I went with the mouse in order to have the
keyboard selection there.  The only solution that I see that would work
for single click is if whatever the mouse cursor is over (when no
buttons on it ate pressed) is automatically selected. Although that
could get very irritating having your selection jumping all over as you
move your mouse.

Randy Meyer