List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Usability and open source
From:       Magnus Ihse <d95-mih () nada ! kth ! se>
Date:       2000-01-31 22:57:45

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> Plan 2: RISC OS-style, another floating, vertical menubar, but you click
> the middle button on the main window to bring it up, rather than it
> hanging around all the time.

I think this sounds interesting. It's more difficult to the user in
that the avaiable actions are not always visible, but on the other
hand the access time is close to zero, since you need no time at all
to locate the menu. On the other hand, the same is true for the right
button context menu a la Windows, which still has been a good idea.

With a three button mouse, there's not any other, better use of the
middle button anyway. (Except for the old idiomatic way of pasting in
console windows, which btw sucks so hard I won't even _start_
discussing that here and now :)).

> Plan 3: Perhaps I'll add circular menus ?

Some simple prototype of circular menus for evaluations would really
be interesting, I think.

/Magnus