List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Usability and open source
From:       "Tomas Furmonavicius" <f1926 () kaunas ! aiva ! lt>
Date:       2000-01-31 19:00:56

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 11:58:13AM -0500, Tyler Regas wrote:

> Apple determined while making updates to the MacOS over the years that
> people will memorize positions in the first stage menu for common
> operations as opposed to actually scanning for words. Clear, colorful
> icons were also determined to make said memorization easier and quicker.

Apple designed GUI for cave-men ;-). But computer users are not these
prehistoric creatures with low forehead and nut sized brain (hope this
doesn't sound _too_ offensive, just in case some cave-man reads this
list ;-) ). What is easier to understand - a picture of some hairy
creature with big stone in the hand chasing the bison, o single word
(preferably in high contrast color palette and easy to read font) -
"hunter" ? :-)

> I'm not saying that Apple is the end-all-be-all UI God here, but they made
> many, many determinations through solid research that will stand true as
> long as we use flat displays. We need to take advantage of that knowledge.

Well, any OS/2 user will say, that IBM, not Apple, created the best GUI :-)

Tomas