List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Usability and open source
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-31 16:56:40

#if Paul Oswald
> controlled. I think apple used a system where (e.g. on the K (start) menu) you
> would hold your mouse on an item, and it would pop up another menu. you could
> then mouse over to the other menu as long as you traveled within a certain
> triangle. (one pixel up for every 3 over for example) MS decided to shortcut
> this by making it such that you could travel off the current item as
> long as you hit the new popup menu within a certain amount of time. This is
> less intuitive to the user because the rule is based on time instead of a
> more tangible thing like mouse position.  The user is unsure as to why the
> menu changed (did I move the mouse wrong or too slowly?). It seems this is
> the way KDE does it (easier to code i suppose =).

Actually, it's the way Qt does it. I don't actually think it's easier
to code and I hate it.

There's some explanation (including diagrams) of this on
http://www.quinn.echidna.id.au/Quinn/WWW/HISubtleties/Index.html

Everybody spam the Trolls and we'll get this sorted out :)

Cheers,
Rik

--
2. Implicate yourself in every interpretation.