List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Usability and open source
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-31 16:49:44

#if Ben Last
[ dual mice ]

I've seen that work slightly differently, where you move a semi-transparent
palette around with one hand and click through it to fill sections of
your image with a colour, using the other hand. Interesting, but I think
while the idea sounds neat, the actual practical uses are limited. The
demo I saw didn't seem to have any other applications. I can see that
moving a document using one hand while writing/drawing with the other
might be handy, but I think it's just stretching things a little too
far. If you have any more useful applications for this idea, I'd be
glad to hear them. I don't think that moving the image around with
one hand is something I'd do personally.

I think it was Sun who did this originally...

[ scalable desktop with zooming windows ]

I think it was Sun who did this originally too :)
Neat idea, and looked great. I'd like to actually try it though - you
really can't judge things like this until you actually see how they
work in real life.

[ using a circular menu ]

Again, I haven't seen a circular menu, but if you knock one up, I'll
try it out :)

Actually, I'm hatching a plan to change the way menus work in KDE,
via configurable settings.

Plan 1: NeXT-style, a floating, vertical menubar.
Plan 2: RISC OS-style, another floating, vertical menubar, but you click
the middle button on the main window to bring it up, rather than it
hanging around all the time.
Plan 3: Perhaps I'll add circular menus ?

Note: This is all for the menubar that comes with a main window. You
would also get to have it docked in the window or at the top of the
screen a la MacOS, so we could have 5 different configs for the menubar.
Enough ? :)

Cheers,
Rik

--
2. Implicate yourself in every interpretation.