List:       kde-look
Subject:    RE: [Fwd: Usability and open source]
From:       "Ben Last" <ben () last ! uk ! com>
Date:       2000-01-31 14:16:59

> From: Richard Moore [mailto:rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk]
>...I know this is not true in practice, but it emphasises
> the need for real world testing to make a sensible evaluation.
Indeed - and real-world testing is the only final arbiter :-)

> True, but the question then becomes how do you measure the distance? Given
> that the mapping between mouse movement and pointer movement is not fixed
> (because of mouse acceleration)
Nope, that's true, but it *is* learnable.  It has a response that is within
basic human capabilities to model unconciously and to predict, especially when
combined with visual feedback.  I still think messing with it is nasty :-)
Mind you, I always hated those interfaces that "warped" the pointer to the
default button - I always lost the pointer and had to scrub the mouse around to
find it again.

> I have tried to ensure that this does not happen, we'll see whether I got
> it right in a few days.
Great - look forward to that...

regards
ben