List:       kde-look
Subject:    RE: [Fwd: Usability and open source]
From:       "Ben Last" <ben () last ! uk ! com>
Date:       2000-01-31 14:15:47

> From: Waldo Bastian [mailto:bastian@suse.de]
> I think tooltips are the best way to educate the user about the
> function of icons.
Heh - okay, I'll respond!
Tooltips can be a good way to *remind* someone about the function of some icon
or button.  I contend that they're a lousy way to *educate* - I have to spend
ages moving my mouse to each button, waiting for the tooltip to popup, moving
to the next.  And worse - after reading each one, the tooltip disappears, so I
need to *remember* what each does.
I think this is relevant: http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/badnavigation.html

regards,
ben