List:       kde-look
Subject:    RE: [Fwd: Usability and open source]
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       2000-01-31 13:27:11

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Ben Last wrote:
> > From: Richard Moore [mailto:rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk]
> > I understand Fitt's law, this technique increases the clickable
> > area of the widget and so should increase the Fitt's value.
>
> Sorry, Richard, but I still disagree!  The Fitts value ("depth") is a
> function of the clickable area and the position (ie something in the
> corner of the screen is infinitely deep because the mouse pointer can
> be thrown into the corner and will stick there).  In the case we're
> discussing, you're not increasing the clickable area at all, you're
> making it more likely that the mouse will stick there.

I think Richard is right here. It's just like placing buttons at the
edge of the screen which makes the clickable area larger. (Not really,
but that is how it is perceived) Slowing down the mouse when it is
above a button makes the button larger: you need to move your mouse
further to move past it.

> I contend
> that since one can't predict what button/icon/doobrie the user wants
> to click on, you'll end up frustrating her. Like trying to select one
> magnet from amongst a bunch of them with a metal bar.

When you put a 'magnet' like this in the toolbar it might indeed
decrease the accesibility of e.g. the menubar which is just above it.
The technique itself is interesting though.

> > This is a non-issue as most widgets where the class would be useful
> > have tooltips which means mouse tracking is enabled anyway.
>
> Okay, you got me there :-)  Though I could argue the utility of
> tooltips!

I think tooltips are the best way to educate the user about the
function of icons.

Cheers,
Waldo