List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    [Fwd: Usability and open source]
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-31 13:32:15

It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.

From:   "Ben Last" <ben@last.uk.com>
To:     <kde-look@kde.org>, <kde-core-devel@kde.org>
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Usability and open source]
Date:   Mon, 31 Jan 2000 13:53:28 +0100

> From: Richard Moore [mailto:rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk]
> I understand Fitt's law, this technique increases the clickable area of the
> widget and so should increase the Fitt's value.
Sorry, Richard, but I still disagree!  The Fitts value ("depth") is a function
of the clickable area and the position (ie something in the corner of the
screen is infinitely deep because the mouse pointer can be thrown into the
corner and will stick there).  In the case we're discussing, you're not
increasing the clickable area at all, you're making it more likely that the
mouse will stick there.  I contend that since one can't predict what
button/icon/doobrie the user wants to click on, you'll end up frustrating her.
Like trying to select one magnet from amongst a bunch of them with a metal bar.

> This is a non-issue as most widgets where the class would be useful have
> tooltips which means mouse tracking is enabled anyway.
Okay, you got me there :-)  Though I could argue the utility of tooltips!

cheers
ben