List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Usability and open source
From:       Sven Niedner <niedner () theo-physik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       2000-01-30 14:20:29

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> In addition, a better solution would be to have active usability
> research within KDE. I think the kde-look list can play an important
> role in this as well as KDE's commercial partners.

Hi, folks,

to me, this does not sound quite realistic; on the other hand I
feel that Open Source Software is a great field of scientific
research (especially since you can start working without signing
any contracts first, and you can try things without being pressed
by budget or deadlines).

What I want to say is: We shoul look for reasearch groups at
Universities and ask them for their help. This could be a gain
for both us and them: a) They can realize or try things that
would not be possible in a commercial environment and b) Open
Source (here KDE) get at the cutting edge of UI concepts.

Greetings,

Sven
--
Sven Niedner, Institut für Experimentelle und Angewandte Physik
Physics of Toroidal Plasmas,