List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: LONG: File-menu
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-11-17 9:39:48

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, zander@microweb.nl wrote:
> On the subject of close closes the window or just the document. Look at it from
> 2 sides.
>
> (I) - close closes the window (and the document and application)
> For:
> I free up quit to close all of my editors.
> Against:
> What if I just wanted to close that window and start editing a new document..
> I would have to locate an icon for the application and start a new version.
>
> (II) - close closes the document and creates an empty document for me.
> For:
> I immidiately can start editing a new document.
> Against:
> The only way to close the window is to select the X or quit.

Yes. This is a good summary.

It is my opinion that the argument in favor of (I) (be able to have
a Quit which closes all applications) is void because this
functionality is better provided by other means.

It's also my opinion that the argument against (II) is very thin. "The
only way to close the window is to select X or quit". That offers you 2
possibilities. Together with Alt-F4 and "close" in the window-manager
menu that is 4. No other command has so many alternatives.

That leaves the argument against (I) and the one in favor of (II) which
I both support.

Based on this reasoning I prefer model II.

Cheers,
Waldo