List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: LONG: File-menu
From:       zander () microweb ! nl
Date:       1999-11-17 9:17:33

> #if Martin Konold
> > The main reason is that a "Quit" which closes all windows of a single unix
> > process would be impossible to implement cleanly from the UI perspective.
> >
> > Imagine: A single executable may have a very large number of
> > windows/views. Due to the integrated nature of KDE it is impossible from
> > the users perspective to foresee what will happen if the user selects
> > "Quit Application". E.g. a general file viewer which is capable of
> > handling all kinds of documents including png,jpeg,ps,pdf and dvi.
> >
> > Each of these windows will look VERY differently to the users. It will be
> > impossible for the users to identify the which window/view belongs to
> > which unix process in the background.
>
> Agreed completely.
>
> I vote that there is no 'Quit' menu entry. It serves to confuse users, with
> the only advantage being that it allows you to close all windows belonging
> to one process quickly. If you're a 'power user', you can press ALT-F4 a
> few times.
Make that Ctrl-W.

But OK. This is something that is discussed for a long time prior to the time
the kde-core team joined the discussions.

Back then the problem was that _many_ people really wanted a quit. If we can
agree on one thing I am happy.

I don't care either way. They are just as good (read: have about the same
amount of pro's and cons).

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
Today, it's understood that of course you'll use a computer,