List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: LONG: File-menu
From:       zander () microweb ! nl
Date:       1999-11-16 18:54:31

First off, I think your definition of an application may confuse someone,
so let me state an example.

I want to edit a text, so I click it. A text editor apears.
- one unix proces is started.
- an application is created (by that unix proces)
- a window is opened. We call this window a document-window. This document
  window the the front of an application.
- extra window (dialogs etc.) have nothing to do with our definiton here!

I want to edit another text, I click file->new another window appears.
- I reuse the unix proces.
- another application is started with
- a document window as front-end.

I click a text, kde starts another text editor for me.
- Same as the last one.

Your implementation (I)

> SDI implementations (I)
> In SDI the application is represented by the document-window. Each
> document-window always contains a single document.
>
> Starting up an SDI application without specifying a document to load
> causes the application to pop up a dialog which asks the user whether
> he/she wants to open an existing document or whether he/she wants to
> create a new one.

KDE is icon driven.
An application has an icon, a document has an icon. Therefor clicking
a document will open the application with that document. clicking the
application icon will open the application.

I think a small editor does not need a requestor like you state.
An application like kWord on the other hand has templates to offer,
then it is logical that we see a dialog (like the current situation).
Don't show a "new file"/"open file" dialog when you start an application,
just open a empty (you call dummy) document.

In both I and II you state that quit handles only this application. This is
not handy!

If I open a lot of documents, I want to be able to close them all with one
command.

Imagine I start netscape, this application can have dozens of browser windows.
I want to quit netscape. That means (to me atleast) that I want to close
all the browser windows. Selecting quit closes all my netscapes.

In your solution I have to click each and everyone of the browser windows I had
open. Not nice!!

On the subject of close closes the window or just the document. Look at it from
2 sides.

- close closes the window (and the document and application)
For:
I free up quit to close all of my editors.
Against:
What if I just wanted to close that window and start editing a new document..
I would have to locate an icon for the application and start a new version.

- close closes the document and creates an empty document for me.
For:
I immidiately can start editing a new document.
Against:
The only way to close the window is to select the X or quit.

Feedback please.

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
Today, it's understood that of course you'll use a computer,