List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: LONG: File-menu
From:       Frerich Raabe <frerichraabe () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-11-15 19:25:59

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Hiya,
Hi!
[...]
> SDI implementations (I)
> In SDI the application is represented by the document-window. Each
> document-window always contains a single document.
[...]
> Closing the document by selecting Close in the File-menu also closes
> the application.
Hmm, this sounds somewhat static and unflexible to me; it's probably useable
for very little projects only (kEdit v2 or something...) but I'd expect a
application to stay alive when I close the document I'm currently working on.
In the end, it's just my personal taste.

> SDI implementations (II)
> In SDI the application is represented by the document-window. Each
> document-window can contain a single document.
>
> Starting up an SDI application without specifying a document to load
> causes the application to start with a dummy document.
Although the idea of a "dummy-document" sounds somehow uncomfortable to me,
this is the way I'd expect a document oriented application to work.

> Editing a dummy document turns it into a normal document.
Uh - oh! So what exactly is a "dummy document"?

> Closing the application by selecting Quit in the File-menu, closes
> the document-window and the document within it. Closing the
> document-window by selecting the X on the window border is equivalent
> with selecting Quit in the File-menu.
Absolutely fine to me!

> Please note that closing the
> application does not necaserilly mean terminating the UNIX process,
> more applications instances may be served by the same UNIX process.
> They are unaffected!
I guess I need a little help - the UNIX process acts as a server for the
application but how do I start this process?? Is it started automagically when
I load the app the first time? Confusing stuff, really...

Anyway... bye!

  - Frerich