List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Comments on GUI Standards
From:       Daniel Barclay <daniel () dsb ! smart ! net>
Date:       1999-09-29 0:16:05

> From: Alistair <abayley@bigfoot.com>

> - MDI vs SDI
> IMHO, every SDI window should have a Close button/menu item, AND THAT'S IT.
> Only MDIs have both Close and Quit (or Exit - how do we choose between the
> labels "Exit" and "Quit", hmmm?).

> I can't see the point of having Quit on any SDI app. You could argue that it
> will close all the the open instances of that app, but I don't believe this is
> useful behaviour.

Why not?

> For example, imagine kwrite had Quit and Close. Would you
> really want to close all other instances of the app at once ?

Definitely.  Consider Netscape (as a precedent and as an example).

As an example (weak, but maybe it will prompt better examples):

Let's say you want to edit by hand some Netscape configuration or data
file that can't safely or reliably be edited while Netscape is running.
Therefore, you want to shut down Netscape.  (One process that might be
managing several windows.)  Netscape's current Exit menu command is
just what you want.

> The only time I
> can imagine this is when you're shutting down, and anyway your window manager
> handles that case.

Or any time you want to close down that application.  (You don't necessarily
want to shut down everything.)

Daniel