List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Full screen?
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-09-23 19:47:58

#if Marko Rosic
> It's OK to defend your work... but what is the point of such discussions
> if someone promose some new feature, and you (developers of thet program)
> tell me OK, but it can be done some other way.
> The point of new version of some program is to add some new features, that
> previous didn't have, and to be better than concurent.

I didn't defend my work, nor promise a new feature.

> So if user whant a full screen app, then he will have to get the full
> screen app, others will stil have, panel and taskabar, an 10% of efective
> workspace.

Panel + taskbar are only 10% of workspace if:
* You have a very low resolution screen
* You use the taskbar
* You use the panel in the large size mode

Granted, most users won't turn off the taskbar. Still, there's a huge
amount of desk space left.

> Let's make some other example!? I whan't on-top window, you don't have
> that feature, you say it's too complicated for users! Other WM's have that
> feature, than I will use that other with more options, rather than KDE!

Good for you. Use that other WM. KDE is KDE, not Enlightenment. KDE is designed
to please most of the users all of the time, not all of the users some of the
time. You are free to use another WM with KDE if you want. You are not
restricted by KDE to do your own thing, you are only given sensible defaults,
such as not being able to set windows to stay on top, since most users don't
want/use that.

> I don't know what do you think about average human, in my country an
> average user is not that stupid, they all understand programs, and work in
> them, even if they are in english.
> If average Englishman or American... can't understand OK, Cancel, and have
> a meny with more than one option, and gets confused with enormus amount of
> data, then I don't have anything more to say about your people.

You have nothing more to say ? Well, personally I believe most people are
reasonably intelligent - certainly enough to understand the words 'Ok' and
'Cancel', but the point of that discussion is that there is a great
inconsistency in KDE re the use of these, and that it needs to be cleaned
up. Specifically, in some apps the 'Ok' and 'Cancel' buttons are used where
it is not appropriate. We're going for logic, not 'dumbing down'.

Please don't say that English + American people are stupid. Whether it's
true or not it's pretty childish to say so.

> My point is, please don't underestimate inteligence of an average user.

We don't. We are trying to provide a system for users who can think
for themselves, but also not alienate those users who, for example, have
never used a computer before, and don't understand the concepts.

> Sorry I got upset, about all this, when I say something you all say it's
> bad, it can't be done, or it's too complicated... But all other WM's have
> some of those features, and you don't, no mater how bad or hard it is to
> make.

I didn't say full screen windows were too complicated or couldn't be done.
I said they are bad. They are bad because users expect windows to have borders,
and to be able to get to their panel and taskbar to switch apps. Which
part don't you understand, in your infinite non-English/American wisdom ?

Cheers,
Rik