List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: KDE Standards - Basic - Windows
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () suse ! de>
Date:       1999-09-22 16:02:03

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, zander@microweb.nl wrote:

> > 2) File->Close should mean "close file" or "close document" (or "close image", or whatever you have)
> > After all this option is in the file menu. Close never quits the application.
> > * For SDI this means that the document is closed but not the window. An empty window will
> > remain.
>
> Leaving open an empty window is not really natural. But un option. I think we just have
> use it to try out the how and what. The point is, Close does not really add a feature.
> So do you want it in the menu. If you grow up with KDE, and no close in the file menu.
> Would you miss it?
>
> I think it should not be present.

It's a matter of completeness. When you start an SDI application manually it doesn't have a
document loaded. It is strange if you are not able to return to this state without closing and
restarting the application.

> > 3) Optionally a "Close window" option can be added to a menu (a window menu?). This is
> > _exactly_ the same as selecting "Close" from the WM-menu.
> > * In SDI this is equivalent to File->Quit.
> As in website
>

> > 4) File->Open opens a new file/document/image without closing any existent document.
> > * In SDI the document is opened in the main-window if it is empty, or in a new one if the
> > window already contains a document.
> No you would do a new->open document for that. This creates consitent behaviour.

It creates a greater gap between MDI and SDI. Within MDI open never closes an existing
document. I agree that the user can achieve the same with "New" followed by "Open"
but this is harder to use;

   "New",
    wait for new window to popup,
    travel with mouse to new window & menubar,
    pick "Open"

Opening a new document in addition to another one is fairly common operation though.
More common than replacing a document with another one.
With my approach this is still possible of course, just select "close" followed by "open". I think this
follows better the thoughts of the user.

Cheers,
Waldo