List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Standard questions and answers
From:       John Summerfield <summer () OS2 ! ami ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-09-17 23:43:42

> #if John Summerfield
> > You DO need to take care with questions:
> > 	Do you want to save your changes?
> > 	Do you want to discard your changes?
>
> I think there should be a rule:
> When asking the user about unsaved changes, the question should follow the
> same logic as that which follows:
> You have unsaved changes, do you want to save them ?
> YES (saves changes) NO (does NOT save)
>
> Reversing this logic puts your application in conflict with the KDE style
> guide, and it will not be considered KDE compliant.

I'm glad to hear it; I put the question because I actually HAVE seen it
asked both ways.

There should, though, be at least three options:
	Discard
	Save
	Return to application

> Note that the question may be asked in different ways for different apps,
> for example an app that handles multiple documents may ask:
> You have unsaved changes in doc1, doc2 and doc4 - save ?

Must allow answers for each doument. Could ask
	Save all
	Save some (goes to a dialogue to find which)
	Save none

At the moment, I'm looking at a dialgue that gives four choices:
	OK
	Browser
	Clear
	Cancel
How does this fit?
I actually want to save the file; I'm running kfm and clicked on a link to
a tarball!! Guess I have to break out netscape.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield