List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Standard questions and answers
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-09-16 17:45:44

#if John Summerfield
> You DO need to take care with questions:
> 	Do you want to save your changes?
> 	Do you want to discard your changes?

I think there should be a rule:
When asking the user about unsaved changes, the question should follow the
same logic as that which follows:
You have unsaved changes, do you want to save them ?
YES (saves changes) NO (does NOT save)

Reversing this logic puts your application in conflict with the KDE style
guide, and it will not be considered KDE compliant.

Note that the question may be asked in different ways for different apps,
for example an app that handles multiple documents may ask:
You have unsaved changes in doc1, doc2 and doc4 - save ?

A simplistic version might say:
Save changes ?

You MUST use buttons displaying 'Yes' and 'No' (translated) to trigger
the actions of saving and not saving. 'Ok' and 'Cancel'
is NOT acceptable. You may add extra buttons if you wish, for example
a button that invokes the application help. Do not add a button that
says 'Only if they're really important changes'. That's just silly.

I hate it when different apps use different logic when asking me about saved
changes. I want them ALL to ask whether I want to save, or whether I DON'T
want to save.

Cheers,
Rik