List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: OK/yes
From:       zander () microweb ! nl
Date:       1999-09-17 8:43:44

> > The rest is historic, OK cancel is used from the first Xerox system upto today..
> > Yes/No forces the user to read the text, not what we want.
>
> Wahh???? Splutter!? You are suggesting we define user interface
> guidelines which state that we don't necessarily want the user to read
> the text? This is madness. We're trying to define a user interface here,
> not a guessing game.

The user should not be forced to read.
The user can read if (s)he wants to.

The UI is a block between the user and what he wants done, If guessing is
his game, allow him to do that.

All I am suggesting is to make it _easy_ AND powerful.

> > Print file?
> > [Ok]  [Cancel]
>
> Why not Yes/No?

See top line, ok cancel is historic, yes no is new. There is no signifficant
difference between them, stick to the old one.

> > Read error:
> > [retry] [ignore] [cancel]
>
> Crap message, buttons could be better:
>
>   There was an error reading from the disk.
>      [Retry] [Continue anyway] [Cancel]

agreed, it was 00:30 when I wrote this ;-)

> > Shure to remove dir X and everything it contains?
> > [OK] [Cancel]
>
>   Deleting directory XXX will also delete everything it contains.
>               Are you sure you want to do this?
>                          [Yes] [No]

Agreed, I say we put a vote for this YES NO sjit. I am getting tired of people
not coming up with arguments, just saying what they think.

I vote for  OK/Cancel. agains YES/NO (this does not include the verbs thingy)

Just reply to the list, i'll count.

--
Thomas Zander                                                zander@microweb.nl
Today, it's understood that of course you'll use a computer,