List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Standard questions and answers
From:       Martin Konold <konold () alpha ! tat ! physik ! uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       1999-09-15 10:58:58

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Derek wrote:

> > > Can we pin down some rules here? Dialogs should ask questions and offer
> > > Yes or No answers unless there is a good reason to phrase the question
> > > some other way. (There will be many good reasons of course, the point is
> > > that the programmer should think in Yes or No terms first.)
> >
> > It is much more difficult to answer yes/no questions instead of
> > Ok/Cancel.
>
>   --------
>    Is it?
>
>   Yes   No
>   --------
>
>   -----------
>     Is it?
>
>   OK   Cancel
>   -----------

Your examples do not reflect the real world dialogs.

Ok/Cancel is excellent for confirmation.

Yes/No is only needed if there is a true choice between two identical
alternatives it is like.

if ok do
else nothing

and

if y do
elseif do

There is a semantic difference.

Regards,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Herrenbergerstr. 14, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
KDE:  A stable GUI for a reliable OS.