List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Dialogs: How to layout
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       1999-09-13 22:49:40

>> In countries which read text left to right, the eye scans left to right
>> when looking for things. Therefore the most often used options should be
>> ordered left to right. Making the user search for the OK button is a bad
>> idea. Just look at the Qt file access dialog!

KDE-savvy apps should NEVER be calling the qt file access dialog, because
it's bites, and the KDE-libs one is much better.

> The default is a button I don's see use for. And help on the same 'line' ?

Default reverts all settings in the dialog to application defaults, in case
you did something, forgot what you did, a messed up something important.

> What about just Ok, Apply, Cancel ?

My vote is to keep them all.

> And something I remember from the amiga, making characters underline for
> shortcuts, su just pressing 'o' would ok the dialog,

hmm... Interesting... Doesn't KDE have a feature like this already for text
navigation and certain buttons are underlined?

>> Where buttons need to be arranged vertically (rare cases) the most
>> popular ones should be at the top.

Yes. I can't stress how rare of a case this would be. I don't see how any
properly designed dialog could ever need this -- although someday for some
weird application it might be needed 5 years from now, it will be fully
supported.