List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Dialogs: How to layout
From:       Peter Penz <peter.penz () jk ! uni-linz ! ac ! at>
Date:       1999-09-08 15:25:15

General comment about dialogs: the current description in the
dialog-standards is a bit confusing and has to be reworked. I'll do my
best the next days...

Derek wrote:

> In countries which read text left to right, the eye scans left to right
> when looking for things. Therefore the most often used options should be
> ordered left to right. Making the user search for the OK button is a bad
> idea. Just look at the Qt file access dialog!
>
> The button order should be:
>
> OK, Apply, Cancel          Default, Help
>
> along the bottom of the dialog.
I would agree to that, but thats against the old standard.
=> Please send some comments to see, if the mayority of all KDE-users
agrees to that change (because the most KDE-apps. don't respect the old
standard, it should be no problem to make this change for new apps :-)

> Where buttons need to be arranged vertically (rare cases) the most
> popular ones should be at the top.
I think buttons in dialogs shouldn't placed vertically. Is there a need
to do so? But if it's necessarry: yes, popular on the top.

Peter