List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Copying the Windows interface
From:       Marko Rosic <roske () mainstream ! co ! yu>
Date:       1999-08-30 11:36:38

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> Really ? Well, I think the reason I use a text-based shell is because I'm used
> to it and productive with it - I type fast. If you get used to kfm, you'll
> probably find you're more productive for some operations, and less for others,
> but not necessarily that much less overall.

Funny thing is that in Linux I always use shell, but in windows I'm always
using graphic based tools for file manipulation, like Explorer, WinZip and
similar. I don't remember when last time I have entered the MS-DOG Prompt
:)
I think no file manager can replace the plain old bash, you don't have
svitches, pipes, redirections, scripting...

> As an example, in the time it took for me to type ln -s /usr/share/icons/*
> which brings up a kfm window looking at /usr/share/icons, then I could have
> done the same with /home/rik/.kde/s<tab>i<tab> and opened a window there. Next,
> ctrl-a in the first window, and drag->link to the second. Not that much slower
> than bash, and certainly nicer looking :)

ln -s /u<TAB>/sh<TAB>/ic<TAB>/* .kde/s<TAB>/i<TAB>
As easy as in kfm ;))

By the way I love the filename completion in kfm, but it would be usefull
if that was the case in all other file open/save dialogs.

> So do you see ? Adding icons to your personal store, without wasting space, is
> not only possible but easy. Unfortunately, we can't _make_ users think
> laterally (or at all ;). We can only provide the mechanisms to do things, and
> make sure the _common_ stuff is obvious.

It's easy all right, but one more good feature, won't hurt!?

One more thing I have noticed! In the International Keyboard setings, when
you say Add, and you have that pull down menu (Think it is called that:)
wich is bigger than screen in 1024x768 so you can't reach some of it's
items.
It would be good to be have some scroling, or to be like Meny on the sites
where you usualy choose your country.

Item 1
item 2
Item 3