List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Copying the Windows interface
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-08-27 13:46:04

Hi Marko,

Marko Rosic wrote:

> Second thing I don't like is very poor theme support, even with theme
> manager. There are two Window Managers, both with something good, and if
> you combine those features it would be blast. That are configurability of
> E and good settings for Window Maker.

KDE 2.0 will be much better themable than any other WindowManager or
desktop. Have a look at:

http://www2.jorsm.com/~mosfet/

http://www.kde.org/kde2shots.html

to see what is already part of the KDE2-CVS.

> I would like if I could easily change EVERY bit of KDE's interface, trough
> some program, not to touch editor.

An excellent tool to construct themes is being developed by Mosfet
as well. (See first URL above)

> Themes should be in one directory, not tar.gzipped, so I could easily
> access pixmaps, and other stuff and combine them.
> You could provide some pixmap colections, that come along with
> distribution, and I realy think that GNOME has much nicer icons, wich is
> pitty cause I saw that you have good designers that can do that very good.

KDE 1.1.2 which will be released soon will have icons that are quite
comparable to the beauty of GNOME's icons. Instead of GNOME we will have
a *complete* set of icons for *every* app consisting of

48x48 hicolor-icons
32x32 hicolor-icons
32x32 locolor-icons
16x16 locolor-icons

Furthermore their look is done more on aspects of usability than GNOMEs.
All icons match our style-guides that were created to ensure:

- that they are easily recognized on themed background
- that they fit well together with WindowMaker and GNOME- and
  previous KDE-icons
- that anyone who has already used KDE 1.x recognizes their
  meaning at once (due to the similarity) and does not have
  to learn lots of new icons.

Please have a look at

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/icons/eyecandy.png

> You can add an ability for user to easily add some other pixmap path, or
> some other paths, and conversion from standard to KDE icon size and
> format, along with transparency.

Userdefined Paths will be possible for KDE 2 (Perhaps even for KDE 1.1.2
--
we are working on it!)

> Not to forget that you can easily view change and combine pixmap
> collections. By pixmap collection I mean on icons, not pixmaps that are
> involved in window look and feel, but ALL other icons.

Using the kthememgr of KDE 1.1.2 it will be quite easy to do
icon-themes. Enhanced icon-themability will be part of KDE 2.0
(we are also working on a better naming-scheme for icons which
unfortunately
can't be applied for KDE 1.1.2 for various reasons :-( .

Torsten Rahn,
kde-artists-team