List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Copying the Windows interface
From:       Marko Rosic <roske () mainstream ! co ! yu>
Date:       1999-08-27 11:31:27

Funny thing is this theme of copying Windows interface. Windows didn't
brought nothing new in GUI philosophy, even more they have stolen many
features from some better interfaces like UNIX, NeXt, Mac.
I don't see why do you copy a copy of original, why if you are allready
copying, why not original insteaed of bad copy.
KDE is meant for UNIX, and the thing I like more about GNOME is that you
see it is UNIX when you work on it.
I think that UNIX users would apritiate more some original, but usefull
desktop, rather than copycat.

Second thing I don't like is very poor theme support, even with theme
manager. There are two Window Managers, both with something good, and if
you combine those features it would be blast. That are configurability of
E and good settings for Window Maker.
I would like if I could easily change EVERY bit of KDE's interface, trough
some program, not to touch editor.
Themes should be in one directory, not tar.gzipped, so I could easily
access pixmaps, and other stuff and combine them.
You could provide some pixmap colections, that come along with
distribution, and I realy think that GNOME has much nicer icons, wich is
pitty cause I saw that you have good designers that can do that very good.
You can add an ability for user to easily add some other pixmap path, or
some other paths, and conversion from standard to KDE icon size and
format, along with transparency.
Not to forget that you can easily view change and combine pixmap
collections. By pixmap collection I mean on icons, not pixmaps that are
involved in window look and feel, but ALL other icons.

Roske