List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: suggestions for KFM
From:       sebastian <sauer () mtco ! com>
Date:       1998-05-30 3:12:56

Kevin Forge wrote:

> I would prefer if HTML were separated from KFM entirely.
> KDE is highly dependent on KFM.  When KFM bombs KDE stops working
> properly.  HTML will remain a moving target for a good while ( rumors
> of the Browser Wars ending are greatly exaggerated ).  Better to
> concentrate on predictable items since there are only 2 ways to get a
> browser to support all the new HTML additions and plugins and
> whatnot.
Fully agreed...In my opinion it's even nuts to integrate new HTML
features....HTML has too many design flaws and is far too less versatile.....
in my IMOHO XML combined with XSS is a lot better....and this doesn't even
exclude HTML
That I would think would be best is if we make a KFM-core engine what would be
super fast, ultra stable,pretty small (maybe even trying to avoid C++ and code
it mainly in C).This core engine would then provide all KDE inter operation
features (e.g. drag'n'drop...maybe even COBRA )
also part of this core engine would be some basic file manager instructions
The actual KFM GUI app. would then run separate (but strongly interacting with
the core engine)
Maybe we could even merge (or maybe better and easier just let them
interact)the KFM GUI app with Qtmozilla (was Qtscape)
though I think this would be too early now since there is too much
toolkit/platform specific stuff in today's Mozilla code....how ever netscape
has plans to make more mozilla code platform independent.....

just my thoughts, I unfortunately I can't even help coding
even worse if have to use a Mac for another month until I'm home and can use
my Linux/KDE PC....

> 1 : Have a team as large or larger than the KDE team to develop it
>   ( Mozilla is doing this )
>
> 2 : Discard quality and stability entirely ( MSIE is doing this ).
you forgot common-sense and logic ;)...just think of their ActiveCrap stuff ;)

> A good fast browser is a worthwhile idea.
wait for the new Mozilla render engine called NGlayout
(codename:'raptor').....this should speed up the future mozilla dramatically
(see http://www.mozilla.org/newlayout/ for more)

PS.: I've a question.....it's a bit off topic, but anyway....Why does KDE not
follow the Linux file system standard? or do newer KDE versions even follow
the Linux file system standard?

sebastian