List:       kde-look
Subject:    suggestions for KFM
From:       G.Ohrner () t-online ! de (Gunter Ohrner)
Date:       1998-05-27 22:23:09

Hello!

I've some suggestions for KFM:

Browsing an ftp-server with kfm I'd like to have the remote directory
tree somewhere listed. Maybe kfm could replace the local tree view with
the remote tree view or maxbe kfm could add a fourth top-entry under
"root", "home" and "desktop", maybe "ftp.kde.org" or whatever server I
browse.
Another way to solve it would be to add a third frame to the kfm main
window when browsing a remote server. The most left frame could still be
the local directory tree, right of it could be a small frame containung
the remote directory tree structure and the most right frame could be
the standard multipurpose display window.
Even better might be to give the possibility to "mount" the ftp-server
into the standard directory tree. The user could up-/download files or
whole directorys by simply dragging and dropping them onto the special
"ftp-server"-directorys. (Or is there already a possibility to "mount"
ftp-servers like NFS?)

If I browse into compressed files like tar-archives it would be really
cool if the tar-archive directory structure could be displayed
somewhere. Maybe it could be inserted into the standard tree view. (Why
not displaying compressed files like directorys wich can be opened and
browsed? The user could see the extension .tar.gz and would know it's a
file but he could transparently word with it as with real directorys,
compressing/uncompressing files and other directorys by simple dragging
and dropping them!)
Another option could be to add a third, middle frame in the case of
browsing an archive and displaying the archives directory structure
there, similar to what I suggested fopr ftp-servers.

These would be fatures even Windoofs has not yet! It would be something
really new!

What's your opinion about it, testers and users? Usable idea? What do
you say about it, developers? Is it implementable in kfm/kde version 1.5
/ 2.0???

  Gunter Ohrner

--
        !!!Ich habe fertig!!!