List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: background layout
From:       dave.leigh () cratchit ! org
Date:       2003-01-30 6:32:29

--=_alternative 0049940785256CBE_=

"Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@olympusproject.org> wrote on 01/29/2003 10:28:18
PM:

> hi all...
>
> a new background dialog has been committed to CVS. there's a bit of a
> disagreement over some layout issues. screenshots can be seen at:
>
>    http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/screens/bgdialog/
>
> i'd welcome some input.

bg_new_smallerWidgets.png is clearly best.

The problem with the larger widgets is that they draw your eye away from
the label. That would be fine if there were additional information, but
for a color picker there should be just enough to show the selection. I
think what's in the screenshot is just about right.

bg_new_betterLabels.png is bad because your attention is drawn all the way
to the justified right edge of the widgets, which have no information at
all). Also, the larger widgets make the focus boxes seem too crowded and
cramped.

So the smaller widgets get my vote.

--
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst
Tel: (864) 427-7008

--=_alternative 0049940785256CBE_=

wrote on 01/29/2003 10:28:18 PM:<br>
&gt; Hash: SHA1<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; hi all...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; a new background dialog has been committed to CVS. there's a bit of
a <br>
&gt; disagreement over some layout issues. screenshots can be seen at:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp;http://urbanlizard.com/~aseigo/screens/bgdialog/<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; i'd welcome some input.<br>
</tt></font>
best.</font>
is that they draw your eye away from the label. That would be fine if there
were additional information, but for a color picker there should be just
enough to show the selection. I think what's in the screenshot is just
about right.</font>
your attention is drawn all the way to the justified right edge of the
widgets, which have no information at all). Also, the larger widgets make
the focus boxes seem too crowded and cramped. </font>
Dave Leigh, Consulting Systems Analyst<br>
Tel: (864) 427-7008<br>
Fax:(603) 806-0359<br>
AIM: leighdf<br>
</tt></font>